Novel materials and production processes of components applied in process engineering - VerTec
Components used in chemical process engineering applications such as reactors, mixers and heat exchangers are key elements which determine the efficiency and safety of chemical processes. These often highly complex devices are subject to mechanical, thermal and corrosive stress. A particular problem in manufacturing such components is the relatively small number of units often in combination with materials that are difficult to machine. Furthermore, conventional manufacturing methods do not allow for a completely free three-dimensional design of the equipment. Here, additive manufacturing is a powerful tool for the production of highly complex tailor-made components for use in chemical process engineering.
The Technology Transfer Center VerTec aims for a holistic approach. Computer-aided modelling and simulation allow for the identification of almost ideal geometries. These structures are manufactured by selective electron beam melting of metal powder. Using appropriate coating technologies, the surface can be functionalized with regard to catalytic activity. Finally, application tests are conducted to demonstrate the superior performance compared to state of the art equipment.
- W. Peters, M. Eypasch, T. Frank, J. Schwerdtfeger, C. Körner, A. Bösmann, P. Wasserscheid, Efficient hydrogen release from perhydro-N-ethylcarbazole using catalyst-coated metallic structures produced by selective electron beam melting, Energy & Environmental Science 2015, 8, 641-649.
- T. Knorr, A. Schwarz, B. J. M. Etzold, Comparing Different Synthesis Procedures for Carbide-Derived Carbon-Based Structured Catalyst Supports, Chemical Engineering & Technology 2014, 37 (3), 453-461.
- M. Klumpp, A. Inayat, J. Schwerdtfeger, C. Körner, R. F. Singer, H. Freund, W. Schwieger, Periodic open cellular structures with ideal cubic cell geometry: Effect of porosity and cell orientation on pressure drop behavior, Chemical Engineering Journal2014, 242, 364–378.
- T. Knorr, P. Heinl, J. Schwerdtfeger, C. Körner, R. F. Singer, B. J. Etzold, Process specific catalyst supports – selective electron beam melted cellular metal structures coated with microporous carbon, Chemical Engineering Journal 2012, 181-182, 725-733.
- A. Inayat, J. Schwerdtfeger, H. Freund, C. Körner, R. F. Singer, W. Schwieger, Periodic open-cell foams: pressure drop measurements and modeling of an ideal tetrakaidecahedra packing, Chemical Engineering Science 2011, 66, 2758-2763.